If you're a blogger and want to take the next step-up from basic web hosted sites, then Moveable Type is definitely an option. Moveable type is powered by Perl and supports connections with MySQL and Postgresql databases. If you're new to database management, then we advise you seek help with this aspect because it is very complicated for newbies even though there is a step-by-step guide.
Once up and running, Movable Type gives you a very professional blogging system, with an emphasis on support for XML templates. You can set up any number of blogs from a simple web interface which gives you total control from blocking nuisance users to administrating comments. As with WordPress, it's nice that the comments and Trackback systems are set up by default plus things like categories and a theme editor are included.
The biggest problem you'll have with Moveable Type is creating templates and linking it to a database. Ideally, to get the best out of this, you need some Perl scripting knowledge although once mastered, this is an incredibly powerful free program.
- 102486: Movable Type Allows User Registration from a Cached Registration Pages When User Registration is Globally Disabled.
- Fixed a bug in the Community Pack that's distributed with some versions of Movable Type which allowed visitors to a site to create user accounts in some situations when user registration is disabled.
- 102462: Add Zemanta Plugin to Movable Type
- Zemanta plugin bundled with MT
- 102469: MTIfArchiveTypeEnabled tag does not work as expected under dynamic publishing
- Fixed the
template tag so the tag evaluates correctly in dynamically published templates ewhen the "archive_type" attribute specifies an archive type that has more than one archive mapping.
- 102303: Deleted Customfield prevents other CF from being saved
- Fixed a problem with updating certain entries or pages that contain Custom Fields.
- 102417: Date picker on publish date field is broken.
- 100409: EntryIfCommentsOpen deprecated in favor of nonexistent tag
- Fixed typo in POD Docs More details.
- 100766: Document Search Pagination
- 100787: Document Comment Pagination in core
- 100791: Document Archive Pagination
- 101191: [PATCH][Slapshot] Can't unserialize data includes empty array or empty hash.